Sharing the secret theater with the rest of the world is really getting to be a bummer. While I still arrived 5 minutes before King Arthur and paid $5 and got a good seat, I had to contend with at least a 35% full theater. Now normally for most other theaters that is a low turnout but at the secret theater 35% is a crowd. Two people were constantly text messaging, a couple of guys were spitting away tobacco juice (luckily into cups) and hacking away throughout the movie. The girls were trying to flirt with the guys who really wanted to watch the movie. People changed seats and it was almost like having your own unwanted sideshow. On the flip side, at least I have a local theater to go to.

Having said all that I did settle down and not only watch King Arthur but I found myself enjoying it too! It was surprising since the movie started off with some reworking of actual history but whatever. This KA version plays more like a old action serial movie. You could title it "King Arthur kicks the ass out of the Saxons" or "King Arthur and The Really Cool Sword." Either way, it's not the purist hopeless romantic version of the story. The story retains the spirit of the hero King but the fiction takes it's own path. In a way, that's true of each update of the legend. I liked this one. Besides, Clive Owen is really good looking and plays the part well.

I hadn't read any of the negative reviews of this movie because I was already worried I was going to dislike the movie. Now I've read those bad reviews and I have to laugh because each thing the critic had against the movie was true. And funny. Nevertheless, I'm going to recommend it just for taking my mind off work, the cool fights, the ice battle that was better than the entire storm in Day After Tomorrow, and the fact that the movie is fun. Not for everyone, you make your own call.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Innsbruck - here despite it never being on my to-see list