I should title all of these posts - Blogger At Sea. I need to update yesterday and add that it was Trek intensive and great! We had actor panels, actor plays, fan fun, and of course, the cruise ship itself. Today was Belize and it is one wonderful port! I went cave tubing and here's the quick version before I lose the satellite.

We started out on a 45 minute ride through Belize City and out to the country. The bus then turned off the paved road and we went 7 more miles on dirt. Once we were fully in the boonies, we found a beautiful tropical rainforest. The first call to action was to get our head lamps since there are no lights in a cave. The second call to action was to choose our inner tube because it would be our friend for the next 90 minutes. Then we were off on the trail with our gear. Now a rainforest is beautiful but after lugging an inner tube through the trails for 45 minutes, you start to forget where you are an all you see is tube and trail. At one point I slipped and said "oh, this is slimy!" and then I had the TAR moment (and this is for Mondo) "Slimy! Mudhole! My home this is!"

Eventually we arrived at the river entrance to the cave. We all gratefully slipped into our tubes and pushed off. I should add that we had a group of about 20 Trekkers on this excursion so there was safety in numbers. There is no way to describe how cool it is to float through a dark cave and have all the head lamps shining about like fireflies. The cave had formations and glowed in our light. I heard the bats but I never saw them. I did see plenty of rocks and I'll have the bruises to prove it in the morning. How many times can a person bump into a wall? With me, it's a lot. 45 minutes later we were back in the sun and heading off for lunch and a beer. Hopefully the pictures will turn out and I can post them at a later date.

The beer - Belikan. It's the only local brewed beer and it was quite tasty. Perfect after a day of hiking and tubing in the rain forest. Well I'm late for the next batch of Trek panels so I'll catch up with you tomorrow after Guatemala.

Comments

  1. Anonymous7:04 PM

    Obligatory Farscape reference: The woman knows mud.

    Sounds like you are having fun. Can't wait for the photos.


    Mondo

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Innsbruck - here despite it never being on my to-see list