Silence sometimes takes place in our minds and our hearts even when the external world is noisy and crowded. Such has been that place in many minds for the last week. It is with great sadness that I must tell you about the loss of long-time poster on this blog, Mrs. H.

Mrs. H. was a person who in her 70’s could still bridge generation gaps between all ages. Children of 9 or 19 were as open with her as her own peer group. Many of the children in Mrs. H’s life were more apt to talk over their problems with her than their own parents. For all the grandchildren out there, this is a sad time and my heart goes out to you.

Mrs. H. could enjoy a good glass of Oregon wine or a bowl of chocolate ice cream. Given a choice, I’m sure ice cream would win any day (or night). She had a way of making a mouse catch and release program an exciting adventure and turning garden sessions into botanical lessons. For those who have ever stayed at her house, you understand that there is a time warp there where a day goes by and it feels like only an hour.

So on Feb. 1, as the snow surrounded the house, her heart gave out and she passed away peacefully. I am sure that her husband of many years was waiting for her on the other side.

A space exists in my mind that wasn’t there before. I am sure it is the same for many people, family and friends alike. Her daughter told me that earlier in the week she had been at the computer to check out the blog to see the photo of the snow around her house. I can’t even put into words how much that made me cry to think that she was still interested in what was going on in my world even as her strength was slowing down. I will miss her.

This is for the children of Mrs. H. aka Barbara Hinman.

Comments

  1. Thanks, Karen, for this post. Barbara had a large presence in many lives. A large chunk of my childhood memories are tied up with the Hinmans. Alan and I walked to school together on our first day of kindergarten, I spent more time at their house in the early years on Mt. Etna than I did at my own. I know that Ken, Alan, and Crystal were there on the other side to greet her with open arms. My heart goes out to all their family...I will miss hearing their news that she sent me each year in a Christmas card.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Innsbruck - here despite it never being on my to-see list