I'm in Cairo now. I traveled in by myself and had the hotel arrange for pick-up. Cairo airport is always a hurdle and it changes each time. I was sure that the when the pick-up notice read "meet outside customs" that meant after I was stamped in. I was rushing to get to the Visa window and bypassed all the guys with signs. I'm inline for customs and a man is asking me if I'm Karen Reek. As the only non-middle easterner I was once again an easy find. The thing that threw me off was I was all prepared with my 5 egyptian pounds to tip the cab driver but was totally unprepared on how to tip the greeter so he didn't get a tip. Bummer for him. I feel bad.

Since I never got my hotel points from the Hyatt Cairo (I did but through Hyatt after I complained) I'm at the Sheraton Cairo. It kind of sucks but since I'm doing a protest stay, I have to live with my actions. The room is about the same but the club lounge has such slim picking for food I sense another few pounds coming off this week. That just makes more room for eating and drinking when I get back home. I think the free drink hour starts now. (6:30 pm) I came in at 5:00 and asked for a glass of white wine and the waiter was bemused that I was going to drink Egyptian wine and pay for it. That's the way it goes sometimes.

The Cairo segment of this trip took a turn for the worse two days ago. Customs is holding onto our ice cream and we need it to do training on how to make milkshakes. Depending on the next 48 hours I'll either come home early or possibly late. Either way, I lost my Alexandria side trip and that's a bummer.

Comments

  1. Anonymous3:52 PM

    That's too bad. Alexandria was going to be the highlight of this trip.

    OB

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Innsbruck - here despite it never being on my to-see list