Today I had a meeting at my normal hotel – the Cairo Hyatt. I walked in and it looked like Ramadan. The bar was there but it was empty. It turns out that the franchisee of that hotel is Saudi and when he was in Cairo last month returned from the Mosque all fired up and inspired to be a good Muslim. To show his faith, he took every single alcoholic beverage and had employees help him throw all those bottles in the Nile. The total damage was in the millions. Then he went to the Hard Rock Café next door and demanded that they throw away all their alcohol but the HRC refused since they are not owned by this guy.

Hyatt had given him until June 1 to restock the bar and serve alcohol again or he will be in default of the franchise agreement. No one is sure what will happen but I’ll find out on June 1 as it’s tomorrow and someone I know is staying there.

In the meantime, I’m sure the HRC is enjoying a booming bar business.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Innsbruck - here despite it never being on my to-see list