Speed Racer

Yes, it's true - I actually saw a movie again! Too bad it was a boring mostly loser of a movie. The running time is listed as 2:12 and that's about 45 minutes too long. Speed Racer is all visual and not much else. The colors are great, animation is taken to a new level, and even the casting was right on. Too bad that the CGI overpowered everything else to the point of complete and total ughness.

I'm not what could have been done to make the audience care about Speed. The movie was either going back and forth between vivid animation of car races and fantasy scenes or boring speeches between people. This was a bummer because the movie could have at least been fun.

In the animated series, I loathed Spritle and Chim-Chim. They were the saving grace of this version though and the only time I laughed was when they were in the scene. Real critics have hated this duo but if it wasn't for them I would have cried in desperation to leave the theater. When I realized that I had overdone the diet coke and had to make a break for the restroom it was as if a cloud was lifted over my head to be free of the theater.

Now, as I said the animation has been taken to a new level. I am looking forward to the DVD extra's of how the work was done and what the animators and directors were going for in terms of integration of real people in an animated world. The integration worked well and you could believe in the Speed Racer world for what it was.

If you're going to still go, get there right before the movie starts and you can leave when it ends. There's nothing special during the credits so you can make a run for it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Innsbruck - here despite it never being on my to-see list