Miles and Points! In this lifetime I don't have many innate talents. I can do some things moderately well, read faster than anyone I know, and mostly stay organized pretty well too. I can't sing, dance, do math, or cook. But, the one talent that I do have and excel at is a knack for finding travel bargains. I love to travel and I live on a budget. In the last month, I have uncanny success in finding bargains and cashing in frequent flyer/stay points.

Next year, LJ and I are going to Copenhagen and Prague. Yes, it's 8 months away but that is how far in advance you have to plan free trips. In the last 4 weeks I was able to secure a free business class ticket for LJ to Europe, 3 intra-Europe segments in business for us, get 2 free hotel nights in Prague, and then I booked my own Europe flight in paid coach but will be able to upgrade to business. We have to pay taxes on the free tickets but $300 or so is a great bargain considering what we're doing.

To make the most of any travel that you do, consolidate everything down to one or two airlines and hotels. If you start splintering out, you'll never get enough points for anything. For random hotel stays, sign up for their program and put the points towards airline miles. This was easier a year ago when airlines and hotels only wanted you to fly or stay every three years. Now airlines are down to 18 months and hotels to 12 months after which, your points expire. (If this is happening to you, donate your points on the airline's website to a charity like Make A Wish. Never let the airlines take their miles back!)

Keep in mind that airline miles are not a bank. At any time, a carrier could go out of business and all your miles go down the drain. I know people that have millions of unused miles. What a shame. Use or donate. I don't stockpile these things. After major carriers like TWA and PanAm went out of business, all those miles were gone.

To get the free trips, you have to plan in advance and be flexible with dates. When I'm looking for a ticket to Europe, I need a date range that's flexible a week or two in either direction. This way, I have a good chance of getting the saver award for less points. For LJ's ticket, it was 80,000 miles. That's a bargain. Once I booked that, then the saver award for those travel dates was gone. I couldn't even do that for myself if I wanted. Now to get free travel on those dates, it would cost 160,000 miles. Airlines hold on to inventory. If you don't like the choices search another day. I couldn't get our free tickets from Prague to Zurich until yesterday when Swiss Air opened up free seats.

And sometimes, you have to pay. For whatever reason, our Zurich dates fall on a major convention or event in that city. The flights are already 50% sold out and airport hotels are sold out. I found a decent rate for a hotel on Expedia that includes breakfast and is only a 5 minute taxi to the airport. I won't earn any points but I am secure knowing that we won't be sleeping at the airport for lack of a hotel.

Comments

  1. You amaze me. My special talent is that I can quote Animal House from beginning to end.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous12:26 PM

    I soooo love your special talent and have no problem planning my vacation 8 months (or even several years) in advance.

    6 1/2 weeks to New Zealand!

    LJ

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog