Shoot 'Em Up

After 6 hours of homework I had to get my mind to relax. A quick look at my choices and I narrowed down the field to 3:10 to Yuma or Shoot 'Em Up. The latter won due to the 90 minute running time and Clive Owen. The title tells all. Shoot 'Em Up is Clive Owen doing the title justice for the 80 of the 90 minutes. There's some witty banter and some sex for the other 10 minutes, no wait, shooting was going on at the same time, so it's 89 minutes of shooting. (The opening sequence took a few seconds to get the shooting going.)

I didn't like or dislike the movie in a traditional sense. There are no pretenses here other than watching Clive Owen shoot people in creative ways. I have a new sense of respect for carrots as weapons. Jackie Chan had nothing on this guy when it comes to improvisation. The plot is improbable, implausible, and doesn't try to pretend to be anything else. Clive Owen's character has decided to protect a newborn baby from the legions of bad guys that are determined to kill the baby asap. Throw in a beautiful hooker to protect the baby and some random conspiracy along the way and let the bullets fly!

At it's best, Shoot 'Em Up is witty and over the top graphic novel style action. At it's worst, it's raw gratuitous violence with an extra dose of gross-out factor involved. Not a little gross but all-out gross. I was in the right frame of mind to see the film and I knew what I was getting in for. I wouldn't recommend this for anyone but fans of bad ass Clive Owen and people who liked 300 and Sin City but don't mind the lack of a plot or the concept of reality.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog