It was a pretty lazy Sunday here in Carlsbad. I started out with the usual beach walk to get my exercise in before the crowds arrived. Then I meant to watch both the Chargers & Padres games but somehow I ended up working and next thing I knew it was 3:00 pm. Ugh! Wasting a perfectly good day doing actual work! I decided to break up the day by checking out a movie at the Carlsbad Film Fest. Today was documentary day with the main theme on the Middle East, so I decided to watch "No Excuses - A season with the U.S disabled ski team." At least I might see some good skiing with this one.

I couldn't find the web site for the movie and no film maker was present for the screening but at 74 minutes, I could deal with anything. It played like part home movie, part wanna-be inspirational, and a tiny part about actual competitive skiing. We followed along with the athletes from the U.S. disabled ski team. Sometimes the movie focused on world competition but most of the time, the skiing seemed to be an afterthought. There were just too many racers highlighted to keep them all straight and we never got a true sense of the racer's past accomplishments that brought them to the 2002 ski season. We learned a lot of reasons why we shouldn't pity disabled skiiers and probably too much info on some of the more personal challenges in their lives. "No Excuses" means well but the story just gets lost along the way.

Both the Chargers and the Padres won today. Go Teams!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Innsbruck - here despite it never being on my to-see list