This is a tough review to write because by all means, I should have loved "Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow." After all, I'm a huge SF fan, love sytlized work, and Jude Law. The movie just didn't live up to my expectations. I understand what they were going for - a tribute to the old Buck Rogers serials where the good guys win, bad guys lose, and all the good guys are wonderful citizens of Earth.

The problem was, there was no suspense. The outcome of the movie is predetermined so the story is in the telling. This is where the movie didn't work. Jude Law was great as Sky Captain but Gwenyth Paltrow jsut sort of stood there and recited her lines. There was no chemistry and they were a worthless couple. Call it petty bickering or clever bantering, it was just annoying. Angelina Jolie was great but hardly in the movie. In fact, I think the two female leads should have been reversed.

Anyhow, the CGI and the look of the movie is beautiful. The robots were what robots should be which is cool. The sound was well used and the movie should get Oscar nomintated for sound. It even rocked the secret theater which is hard to do given the age of the place. I found the music score distracting, we were always in full on musical attack mode which became relentless at time. Maybe they were over-compensating for all the CGI action on the screen.

I left the theater thinking "well so much for that." A few people will love this movie, no one will hate it but I think most people will just be underwhelmed like I was.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Innsbruck - here despite it never being on my to-see list